History of Washington County, Arkansas

The following section of this website is based upon History of Benton, Washington, Carroll, Madison, Crawford, Franklin, and Sebastian Counties, Arkansas published in Chicago, Illinois in 1889, and several other manuscripts interspersed throughout. A list of works consulted for this history is located at the bottom of this page.

Washington County, next to Benton County on the north, is in the northwest corner of Arkansas, lying against the Indian Territory on the west, and bounded on the east and south by Madison and Crawford Counties, respectively. It embraces twenty-seven townships and an area of 569,600 acres, divided almost equally into valleys, plateaux and inclined surfaces or terraces.

When the pioneers first made Washington County their home there were large areas of prairie which are now covered with a more or less dense growth of timber. The site of Fayetteville and several of the surrounding elevations, as well as the intervening valleys, were bare of timber, and were covered with a luxuriant growth of grasses, which afforded excellent pasturage for buffaloes and other herbivorous animals. 

 

Back to: Washington County, Arkansas History

Source: History of Benton, Washington, Carroll, Madison, Crawford, Franklin, and Sebastian Counties, Arkansas. Chicago, IL, USA: Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1889.

 


Arkansas Counties
Genealogy Records